Monday, January 28, 2013

Lessons From Dean The Handmaiden

So. This post is about SUPERNATURAL. And writing. But mostly about SUPERNATURAL

You've been warned. O_O

Last week, there was a special episode of SUPERNATURAL. It involved Sam, Dean, and LARPing. For those of you who don't know, LARPing is short for Live Action Role Playing. Picture a bunch of people playing an elaborate (and awesome) game featuring characters from their favorite video games, movies, TV shows, graphic novels, historical periods, etc. The point is to play not as yourself, but as a character. 

Well, if you watch SUPERNATURAL, you know Sam and Dean don't scream LARPing fans to anyone. Until they get their chance to prove everyone wrong. Dean is named handmaiden to the queen (yes, you read that right. DEAN THE HANDMAIDEN). Sam... well... Sam stayed Sam, but he enjoyed himself. Both brothers did.

Case in point:


 Dean The Handmaiden photo tumblr_mh9456hW991qdsjjjo6_250_zpse747ae61.gif


That's Dean in a faux BRAVEHEART moment. It is also the very last seconds of the episode. After recovering from a horrendous fit of giggles, it hit me--Dean the handmaiden looked happier than he had in ages. He can't do what he's doing in that GIF on a daily basis. His real life sucks the fun out of living most of the time, and in this brief moment, he lets go of that suckage. 

So here's my advice to you, blogging buddies: remember to work hard, remember to sacrifice things, but please remember to have fun. I don't care what your idea of fun is. Knitting. Baking. Rock climbing. Koala watching. I DON'T CARE. Just have fun. You need it. Your work needs it.

Now go out there and find your faux BRAVEHEART moment. :)


4 comments:

Angelica R. Jackson said...

I usually don't watch Supernatural (the episodes I tried were just too scary, lol) but I saw the teaser for this episode while I was watching (recorded) Vampire Diaries. I might go try to find it streaming--it looked hilarious.

Katrina L. Lantz said...

LOL! Great post, Amparo! I loved your analysis of what seems to the uninitiated like a simple moment of levity. For him, this means a lot more, a chance to smile when his work is so unfunny. It's a good reminder for us to have that faux Braveheart moment, but also a great example of how comic relief can be essential to a serious book. :)

Stephsco said...

I love Supernatural; that last scene I didn't even realize it was Dean, even though I knew the epsiode HAD to end with them both in costume joining the fun. I really liked Felicia Day in that episode too. I miss the lighter episodes of SPN, getting sick of the Dean and Sam being mad at each other stuff.

KimberlyFDR said...

Good advice (and good example :) We should all take a break and have fun once in a while.

PS: The wig was Jensen's idea. I CAN'T EVEN DEAL :D